Monday, December 9, 2013

Mason Jar Project - Check!

A little while back I posted a Pinterest project that I was going to try to make, this one.  Well I did, it turned out pretty well and I was finally better about documenting my steps in photos.

First was to determine what piece of board I wanted my jars to attach to.  I actually had this piece on hand and so decided not to spend extra money on another piece and work with what I had.  After a Home Depot run to purchase the plumbing clamps and hooks (I added these on a whim - not part of the original project) I was ready to start.

Immediately I ran into my first hiccup.  No where in the Pinterest project does it clearly communicate how the plumbing clamps are "screwed on" to the board - time to improvise!  I didn't have any nails small enough to get through the slats on the clamp itself, and I didn't have wide enough staples in the staple gun to span the width and securely hold them in place. I ended up taking two screws and placing them on either side of the clamp.  Not screwing them in all the way first, placing the plumbing clamp and then screwing them both down so the edges are held in place by the lips of the screws.  Be sure to place the clamps in a way that still allows you to adjust the size around the neck of your mason jars.

Next I placed the hooks.  I measured and placed them roughly 1.5" apart from each other.  First drilling a small pilot hole then hand screwing in the screws on the bottom of the board.  I want these to be for hanging necklaces.  I have some great earring holders made from frames and screen but at this point no good way to store and display my necklaces.  The hooks go all the way across the bottom.

The end result before testing out my jars allowed for 4 mason jars and hooks along the bottom.  I attached at sawtooth picture hanger in the middle of the back (no picture) to allow for easier hanging.  I substituted much longer nails for the ones that came with that piece of hardware for some added support and security.


Now it's time for the second hiccup.  Due to my improvising for getting the plumbing clamps to attach to the board, the jars while mostly secure were not held in as tightly as I would have wanted by the clamps.  They were almost secure enough but had wiggle that sent visions of mason jars plummeting to my floor and shattering through my head.  Originally I liked the idea that I would be able to take the jars down as needed from the adjustable plumbing clamps but gave that luxury up for a more secure hold.  I used clear, heavy duty epoxy glue, a dime size dot on the jar and a dime size dot of the plumbing clamp where the screws held it to the board.  Then placed the jars and tightened.  I allowed this to dry overnight and then it was time to hang.

Here's the finished product.  Not exactly as I imagined in terms of functionality but overall I'm pretty happy with the resulting look. Please forgive the grainy picture, as you can see I'm still deciding what exactly to store in each of my jars.




No comments:

Post a Comment