Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Mildly Obsessed

I've always loved pin-ups.  Love the glamour they belied and at times they convinced me I was born in the wrong decade - though I do love living after the birth of feminism more since I can still seek out and find the fabulous fashions.  However as a thick chick I didn't necessarily identify with the images personally.  Until now!

This is Hilda, a pin-up from the 1950s and a creation by illustrator Duane Bryers.  I am now mildly obsessed.  Not only is she thick and fabulous but every one of the images is fun, mischevious, and a little awkward - now that is something I can personally identify with.

I found this on Messy Nessy Chic, who linked to Toil Girls, a site that actually conducted an interview with Duane Bryers about his Hilda paintings.  Then I fell down the rabbit hole.  The google image search gives an enormous amount of images, and there is even a Hilda! Pinterest board.  I feel like it's fair to warn you that you can expect to see a Hilda image pop up here every once in a while.  They make me smile, a lot.

Based on what I'm reading I may be late to the game on this but I am happy to have finally found her and can't wait to keep exploring Hilda's world.

No comments:

Post a Comment