Thursday, January 16, 2014

Old Timey Christmas Garland

I'm still building out my personal collection of Christmas decorations and like the idea of making them when I can.

I found this project on Pinterest and after collecting some scraps from fabric stores nearby set to work. 

First I cut a conservative amount of strips of the fabrics I gathered (1). I included some red and green felt in my garland.  I liked the idea of the differing weights mixed together.  My length was limited by this because I only purchase 2 squares of each, though this worked out great for me, the garland could have gone much longer had I purchased a few more.

I used some hemp cord that I had lying around as the base, thinking that it's strong and will hold up for years.  I didn't cut this ahead of time, because I didin't know how long it would be in the end. I don't plan ahead like that - sometimes works and sometimes bites me in the you know what.  I tied a loop in one end and looped it around a water bottle to hold the end up, you want that end stable, like when you used to safety pin friendship bracelets to the knee of your jeans - remember?

Next step - start tying (2).  That's pretty much it.  I picked the order that I wanted for my garland and just kept going.  I put on my Hulu and just plugged away.  It took me a couple evenings after work but I got it done in time for the holidays (even if I didn't get it posted).

The finished product (3) hung across the entry to my living room and brough cheer immediately upon entering my house.  Very pleased with this Pinterest success, definitely one of the easier DIY Christmas decorations that I found that still looked really good.


No comments:

Post a Comment