Friday, April 26, 2013

Oh carpool

So I think I've mentioned that I get into the city in the morning in the casual carpool, a very northern California set up where anyone driving into SF from the East Bay and anyone riding in line up in designated spots and fill into strangers cars.  My friends from school in Massachusetts find this appalling and without fail say something along the lines of "damn hippies".

This has been around for at least 30 years at this point, my mom was the one who taught me how to use it when I worked summers in her office in San Fran.  There are some unwritten rules, these days it's generally polite to offer a dollar contribution to the toll, speaking is generally kept to a minimum unless the driver starts the conversation and more often than not you can expect to listen to npr on the ride in.

Like I said, it's generally very functional and frankly mundane, but every once in a while you get an odd experience.  Today it wasn't odd so much as funny and unintentionally voyeuristic.  When I got in it was clear that woman in the passenger seat already knew the driver, already the odd man out, I get in and say my polite "good morning" to no response.  I do not offer a dollar.

They are in the middle of a very engrossing conversation, in which the driver is telling her friend about a third woman, all clearly in they're 50s-early 60s, and how she has really bumped up her social life recently at the country club!  Seriously! It is really something to wake up to a pair of women my mother's age (or older) talking about orgasms! Yup. Good morning!

I mercifully was let out at about the moment when the driver started going into why she was reading Cosmo again so she can keep up with what's new - you know - new...

Oh carpool


p.s. on the fitness dress countdown - 29 days to go.  Did cardio yesterday and had a good dinner.  This morning I could not wake up so I bought a breakfast burrito on my walk in.  Refocus...

No comments:

Post a Comment