Thursday, April 18, 2013

New Door!

Being a new homeowner is full of learning opportunities on a daily basis.  All those great times in apartment life when you can call the landlord are out the window as it dawns on you that you are in fact the landlord...oy.

I recently went through what turned out to be a two month process of ordering a new front door!  While all the steps were actually really smooth my dear house of 1912 doesn't like to make anything simple.  It was discovered that the front door is definitely wider than a standard front door therefore resulting in a special order which took 7 weeks!

But this journey has, hopefully, come to an end yesterday when I finally got the new door installed! I only documented the end result which I now regret because about three hours into a 6 hour process I had a moment of panic.  I looked over and there was plaster all over the floor, gaping holes, exposed inside walls and ripped frame on the outside!  I'm not sure what I thought would happen but it was more shocking than I thought.  I decided to do some deep breathing that my sister had taught me, trust the very capable quirky installer toiling away and have some faith.  In this case it was rewarded!

Ta da!  I now have a front door that does not put myself and my home on display which I'm sure the neighborhood appreciates because I still maintain my opinion that a person should not have to wear clothes in their own home!



No comments:

Post a Comment