Sunday, November 24, 2013

Sunday morning

I'd like to say that this post is about how prepared I am for the week and that I purposefully spent my morning preparing healthy meals for my week.  While the results are nearly the same this is not what happened.

What did happen is that last week through a combination of good intentions and excitement at a farmers market I purchase several healthy options for food for my week.  Last week I made some great ground turkey dishes, including turkey meatloaf muffins - perfect for a quick meal - and an egg frittata.  Leaving to sit in my kitchen, awaiting preparation, a large spaghetti squash, a head of cauliflower, some small (adorable) zucchini from a farmers market, and some purple tomatillos and a pepper.  There they sat all week, through my late nights where the most I could manage each night was to get my contacts out of my eyes before crawling gratefully into my flannel sheets.

So this morning when I was contemplating what to make for breakfast and realized I was nearly out of everything except the items listed above and that some of them were bordering on turning bad I decided to make them all.  So you see the spoils of my morning are in fact a result of procrastination and failing to prepare but in spite of this I still have meals for my week!  Take that adulthood!

Homemade Salsa - I used a Rick Bayless recipe and while I still love Herdez Verde because of the vinegar kick this is pretty delicious and more satisfying as it is made by yours truly.









Spaghetti Squash - I roasted the large spaghetti squash that has been staring at me from my counter top all week.  I still have a large tupperware full of the strings to make some different iterations all week but this morning I sauteed the zucchini, olive oil, garlic, pepperoncinis, and some marinara sauce.  When ready I poured it over about 2-3 cups of the squash, about a 1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese and stirred.






Roasted Cauliflower - I found this recipe online.  I have a deep love of anything with a vinegar slant of lemon juice, for me it cuts through oil and is just a flavor I love.  I used this recipe online.  I chopped mine up a little more than suggested in the recipe and used some of my lemons from my prolific lemon tree in my backyard.  This is delicious and I'm restraining myself from popping it into my mouth and finishing it all before the week starts.


I have to say that I'm pretty impressed with myself and feeling pretty smug - you know maturing and all - and can't help but feel that my former roommate, an incredible cook who definitely made the most of our meals when we lived together would be proud.  She's even has her own blog where she shares some of her delicious concoctions - The Lazy Wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment