Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Thanksgiving Dinner Contribution

My mason jar holder is currently on hold - I got through almost the whole project, however the last step is only hold. Due to the way that I attached the plumbing clamps the jars don't get cinched in tight enough to actually hold in.  A gentle shake sent two loose.  Some more tinkering to come...

This year each of us are bringing a dish to Thanksgiving dinner - this is new for us and given our collective cooking experience good go really wrong or really right, so fingers crossed.  I am making a gluten free Spicy Cheesy Bread Stuffing.  I found this recipe through Pinterest (where else?). 

Last night after work I braved the crowds at the grocery store.  Side note about myself I very much dislike grocery shopping in general and avoid holiday related grocery shopping whenever possible.  Though this was unavoidable so I bit the bullet and went in, shopping list in hand.  Happy to report it was not nearly as dreadful as I had envisioned.

I did spend a bit of time trying to find the almond flour necessary for the recipe and enlisted the help of a, somewhat attractive, store employee (always look for the cute ones when you have a question - it may take longer but, in my opinion, worth it).  My question led to a short, somewhat flirty, discussion about the gluten free craze sweeping California, if not the nation.  I shared my humble opinion that I think the general extremism is crazy and that the trend to raise your children gluten free seems like a bunch of crap.  

I believe in whole grains and steering clear of super processed foods as a general rule to but as with all things, truthfully believe in moderation.  I am making a gluten-free dish because my dad actually has Celiac and I want him to enjoy the stuffing too - assuming this turns out enjoyable. With a smile from the flirting and ingredients in hand I leave the store and head where any responsible person who is making a dish for her family's Thanksgiving meal would.  To her best friend's house to watch Secret Princes.

Small tangent, this show is hilarious and you should absolutely watch it!
After getting sucked into 4 episodes I went home and unloaded the groceries.  Hit by a sudden burst of inspiration I baked the first part of the recipe, the skillet "bread" that needs to be made a day ahead for the final stuffing dish.  Yay responsibility! Actually looks pretty good, and tastes almost as good if I do say so myself!

UPDATE: This stuffing turned out delicious!  I didn't read all the way through the recipe (story of my life) so I didn't actually bake and dry out the skillet bread two days before but even with that snafu this was definitely an excellent contribution to the meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment